Personal Licence

Under the Licencing Act 2003, every premises licensed to sell alcohol must have a DPS (designated premises supervisor) named on the premises licence. A DPS must hold a personal licence and they will be responsible, along with the premises licence holder, for authorising the sale of alcohol at the premises.

Personal Licence Course: Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders (RQF)

Anyone who authorises the sale of alcohol to the public is required to have a suitable qualification. Besides that, this ensures that bar staffs, hospitality workers and those working in an off-licence have attained the necessary skills and qualifications to operate legally. We offer this training both in English and Turkish Language.

About the training

Firstly the training course is one day course which has been designed to meet the legal requirements to qualify to become a Personal Licence Holder. In addition, the training includes essential information on the responsibilities of licence holders and duties of the designated premises supervisor (DPS). 

Course day 

  • Every other Wednesday  in London ( English)
  • Every Last Monday in Each Month in Turkish

Course Fee : £150.00 only

Full package

Training, exam fee, basic disclosure fee, application fee and processing included

Only £300.00


Furthermore, upon the successful completion of this training, you will be awarded the Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders which is above all accredited by either the HABC or the Qualifications Networks.

The application process by Hamlets Training Centre (Full Package)

Certainly an advantage of training with us is that you can also opt for the full package. Our licensing team will administrate your DBS check and also your application at a comparative rate of £300 which is coupled with the personal licence qualification (APLH or SCPLH).

What will I  study ?

At the end of this course, you would be able to understand the :

  • nature, purpose and period of validity of a personal licence
  • application process and legal duties when applying for a personal licence
  •  legal duties of a personal licence holder
  •  roles, responsibilities and functions of licensing authorities
  •  licensing objectives and the importance of partnerships in promoting these objectives
  • nature and strength of alcohol and the effect on the body
  •  law in relation to premises licences
  •  role and legal responsibilities of the Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS)
  •  law in relation to Temporary Event Notices
  •  rights and legal duties of the responsible persons in relation to operation of licensed premises
  •  law in relation to the protection of children on licensed premises
  •  powers of the police and other authorities in relation to licensed premise
  •  prohibitions and exemptions in relation to licensable activities

Who needs Alcohol Licence (Personal Licence) ? 

Those working in Pubs and bars, cinemas, theatres, nightclubs, late-opening cafes, takeaways, village and community halls, supermarkets and off licences hence are required alcohol licences. Beside that even those looking to pursue a career in hospitality and the bar industry require an alcohol licence.The qualification is designed for those learners working in, or preparing to work in, any industry that involves the retail sale of alcohol. It is a prerequisite for anyone who wishes to hold a personal licence. Anyone wishing to sell or authorise the sale of alcohol by retail on licensed premises must hold a personal licence. Learners gaining this qualification will understand the main requirements of the Licensing Act 2003, the importance of promoting the licensing objectives and the legal responsibilities of a personal licence holder.

Can I take this course in any other language than English?

Yes, you can. We offer fully accredited Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders (RQF) course and exam both in English and Turkish Language.

Why train with us?

Personal Licence Course – Fully Accredited UK Course with experienced trainers, learning materials and same day exam with Certificate

Certainly we provide outstanding learner support. Our highly competitive fees along with our outstanding  pass rate, makes this course value for money. There are group discounts available in all our courses. The  Ofqual accredited qualifications means this course is accepted by your licensing department of your local authorities. All of our qualifications are accepted in England and Wales . Our qualified and  and experienced tutors and trainers provide you intensive support during your training with us. There is no additional costs included while you pay your booking fee during your enrolment which  are all inclusive of training, course book, notebook, exams and certificate costs.

How to get a Personal Licence?

In order to obtain a Personal Licence; applicants must be 18 years of age or above and will need the following:

  • Book a Personal Licence training course with us     
  • Personal Licence application form – Obtained from local Councils or Licensing Authorities.
  • Level 2 Award for Personal Licence Holders Qualification Certificate (The original)
  • Basic Disclosure  (N.B – check valid for 28 days)
  • Two passport-size photos
  • Application fee – £37

There are a number of requirements when applying for a grant application.

You must:

  • Be at least 18 years old.
  • Be entitled to work in the UK.
  • Have a licensing qualification accredited by the Secretary of State (or one that is certified as such).
  • Have a completed disclosure of criminal convictions and declaration form. The disclosure certificate should be no more than one month old when you give your application to the relevant licensing authority. The disclosure certificate can be obtained from the Disclosure & Barring Service.
  • Not have had a personal licence forfeited within five years of your application.
  • Provide two photographs of yourself. One of the photographs must be endorsed to say it is a true likeness of you. A solicitor or notary, a person of standing in the community or any individual with a professional qualification can do this.
  • Enclose the appropriate fee of £37 and forward with all the documents to the council’s Licensing Department.

Additional information for applicants

  • If your personal licence is lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed you may apply to the relevant licensing authority for a copy of the licence. You do not need to report the loss to the police. There may be a fee payable for a replacement licence.
  • You must notify the licensing authority of any changes in name or address as soon as possible.
  • This licence must be produced on demand to a constable or authorised officer, who must produce evidence of their authority to see it.
  • If you appear before a court for a relevant criminal offence you must produce this licence to the court on or before your first appearance.
  • You must notify the licensing authority in writing as soon as possible after being convicted of any relevant criminal offence or foreign offence.
  • It is an offence to fail to comply with the requirements in the notes above without a reasonable excuse.
  • More information is available from the council’s licensing department.

Right to work in the UK/Immigration Status

A personal licence may not be issued to an individual or an individual in a partnership which is not a limited liability partnership who is resident in the UK who:

does not have the right to live and work in the UK; or

is subject to a condition preventing him or her from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity.

Any personal licence issued in respect of an application made on or after 6 April 2017 will become invalid if the holder ceases to be entitled to work in the UK.

Applicants must demonstrate that they have the right to work in the UK and are not subject to a condition preventing them from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensing activity. They do this by providing with this application copies or scanned copies of the specified ID documents (which do not need to be certified).

What our students have said?

Level 2 Personal Licence Holders (RQF) course student 2019: Yuksel: I went to Hamlets Training Centre for my Personal Licence Training course. Everything was so good and most importantly all the staff were so friendly. My teacher explained everything so clearly. Thank you