HABC Functional Skills Qualification in English at Level 1
This qualification is designed for learners who wish to develop their skills in English to help them gain the most from work, education and everyday life. Its assessment requires the learner to apply skills-based and problem-solving techniques in realistic settings. Functional skills qualifications are recommended for learners over the age of 14. Learners undertaking an apprenticeship or an advanced apprenticeship will need to successfully complete functional skills as part of their framework or prove their exemption.
How long will it take to achieve this qualification?
The GLH for this qualification is 45 hours; however, teaching time depends largely on the mode of delivery and the individual learner’s needs.
How is the qualification assessed?
This qualification includes three mandatory components:
- Speaking, listening & communication – This component is internally assessed, and learners must complete two assessed tasks:
- Informal discussion on an unfamiliar subject (10 minutes)
- A formal discussion on a familiar subject (20 minutes)
- Reading – Learners must complete one written examination that is set, marked and moderated by HABC.
Learners must answer a series of questions using two texts based on real-life contexts. (1 hour)
- Writing – Learners must complete one written examination that is set, marked and moderated by HABC.
Learners must complete two writing tasks based on purposeful contexts. All tasks must be completed. (1 hour)
The reading and writing examinations are available on demand in both an on screen and a paper-based format.
Learners successfully completing this qualification may wish to progress on to further qualifications, such as:
- HABC Functional Skills Qualification in English at Level 2
- GCSE English
Where can this qualification be taken?
This qualification can be taken through any HABC approved training centre. Hamlets Training Centre is approved by Highfield Awarding Body to deliver this qualification.
WHAT DOES THE COURSE LEAD TO?
Upon completion of Level 1 you could progress to the Level 2 Functional Skills qualification and from there many of our learners go on to further study. Level 1 is equivalent to a GCSE Grade D-E and a Level 2 qualification is equivalent to GCSE Grade C.